(supervised diver according to ISO 24801-2)
Training for diver 3*** aims at the ability of
- completing dives to a maximum depth of 30 m safely and in a controlled way.
- A successfully completed course for diver 2** or an equivalent is a prerequisite;
the special topics rescue diving, deep diving, dry suit diving, drift diving must be covered and 40 more dives must be successfully completed.
Apart from preparation for guiding groups the training focuses on
- deep dives to 30 m
- the dangers of decompression and respecting decompression ceilings.
- A diver 3*** must be able to guide a group back to the departure point safely and irrespective of visibility conditions with and without a compass.
He must be able to safely return to the surface with a partner from a depth range of 30m breathing from an octopus or sharing air and he must be able to rescue an unconscious diver from a depth of 15m.
In addition a diver 3*** must have the fitness level to
- snorkel 1500m on the surface in full diving equipment
- to dive a distance of 50m
- to dive down to and put on diving gear in a depth of 10m
- and to hold his breath underwater for one minute.
In addition to the knowledge of all the laws of physics and medicine relevant for diving and their practical use he must also know the function of a regulator and a compressor and be able to explain it.
A diver 3*** is qualified to dive autonomously worldwide with a diver 2** or with a higher qualification and to lead these dives. He must be aware that with the exception of dives with a scuba diving instructor 2** or with a higher qualification he is qualified to dive to a depth of 30m and has to respect this limit.
Besides, during the dive he is responsible for divers with a lower qualification.