(supervised diver according to ISO 24801-3)
The aim of the training for diver 4**** is the ability of
- safe and controlled guiding and completing dives to a maximum depth of 40m.
A successfully completed course for diver 3*** or an equivalent training is a prerequisite. The special topics search and rescue, boat diving, wreck diving and ice diving must be covered and a minimum of 40 more dives (including the special topics) must be completed.
The training focuses on
- the safe guiding of groups to a maximum depth of 40 m under difficult conditions.
The main training area shifts to partner check and partner safety.
A diver 4**** must be able to
- guide a group of divers back to the departure point in all conditions.
- He must be able to assess the dive site and the group before the dive and plan the dive accordingly.
- In addition he must be able to evaluate the diving behavior of his dive partners and react accordingly.
He must be able to return to the surface safely with a partner from a depth range of 40m using an octopus or sharing air, and to rescue an unconscious diver from a depth of 20m without putting himself in danger.
He must be able to adjust his diving behavior to his partner and control the dive in all conditions at all times to be able to lead the group safely to the shore.
Furthermore a diver 4**** must have the physical fitness to
- snorkel 2000m at the surface in full diving equipment
- to dive 50m
- to dive down to and put on diving gear in a depth of 10m
- and to hold his breath underwater for 1 minute 15 seconds.
Theoretically he must be informed about all aspects of recreational diving (physics, medicine, practice, equipment etc.) and be able to explain them.
A diver 4**** is qualified to guide a maximum of 4 divers 1* or a higher level if he is 18 years old. Besides, during the dive he is responsible for divers with a lower qualification.